What is SMED?
It is a technique that include activities so as to reduce the overall setup time.
Single Minute Exchange of Die, Shorter Set-up Times, achieving Change-over Operations under 10 minutes.
How SMED Is Important?
– Overcome Trouble with Large Lot Production
– Benefits of SMED for Companies – Variety of Products, High Quality,
Good Price & Speedy Delivery.
– Benefits of SMED for You – Supports Job Security by Strengthening
Why SMED is important for Companies?
Customer needs are met –
- With Variety of Products,
- Ensuring Less Waste,
- Cost-effective Production & In Smaller Quantities
SMED – Benefits for Companies
- Flexibility – Customers’ changing needs satisfied without expense of excess inventory.
- Quicker Delivery – Small Lot Production ensures Less Lead & Customer Waiting Time.
- Better Quality – Through Less Inventory & Storage Related Defects.
- Higher Productivity – Reduced Set-up Errors & Shorter Changeover means Higher Human & Equipment Productivity
SMED – Benefits for You
- Simpler Setups Result in – Safer Changeovers, Less Physical Strain & Risk of Injury.
- Less inventory – Less Clutter means Clearer, Easier & Safer Workplace
- Setup Tools when Standardized & Combined means – Fewer Tools to Keep Track of.
Effects of SMED Application
- Non-Stock production become possible
– Higher capital turnover
– Better use of building space.
– No stock handling operations.
– No defective stocks.
– No production deterioration losses.
– Mixed Production
- Machine work rates improve and productive capacity expands.
- Setup errors disappear and the number of defective goods diminishes.
- Product quality improves.
- Safer operations are possible.
- Total management improves.
- Total setup time is reduced.
- SMED can be achieved at extremely low cost.
- Workers no longer resent setup changes.
- The need for special skills is eliminated.
- Demands changes can be responded to quickly.
- Perceptual blind sport is eliminated.
- The Impossible becomes possible.
- A revolution in production methods